CompoundTek and Lumerical to present Inverse Design Success Story at OFC 2020
Grating Couplers with 20x smaller footprint
Singapore, 27 February 2020 – CompoundTek, a global foundry services leader in emerging silicon photonic (SiPh) solutions and leading photonic simulation software provider Lumerical announces a joint presentation of their grating coupler photonic inverse design success story at OFC 2020.
Designed as part of an ongoing effort to offer highly flexible solutions for photonic integrated circuit developers requiring rapid design and manufacture, the collaboration between Lumerical and CompoundTek additionally addresses improvements to one of the most complex photonic components, the SiPh grating coupler. Responding to the industry’s increased time-to-market demands in photonics commercialisation, Lumerical’s PID flow running on AWS EC2, are new SiPh grating couplers developed with a footprint 20x smaller than CompoundTek’s existing coupler.
With predicted improvements in performance, results are achieved through PID flow configuration that automatically optimises a parameterised 2D model of the grating coupler in FDTD with over 50 design parameters. The optimisation goal was set to minimise insertion loss over the entire band while adhering to minimum feature constraints enforced to ensure manufacturability.
- Lumerical’s Photonic Inverse Design (PID) flow was used to design and optimise the new grating couplers and new Y-branches in conjunction with Lumerical’s industry-leading FDTD
- nanophotonic simulator
- CompoundTek’s world-class foundry services and open silicon photonics process successfully fabricated Lumerical’s Photonic Inverse Design (PID) design and optimized new grating
- couplers and new Y-branches
- How a 20x smaller footprint grating coupler with 2-week design cycle was achieved
- An overview of measurement results available to date
- Upcoming developments to look forward to
Join us and launch your design tapeout journey at OFC 2020 booth #6206, San Diego Convention Centre.
Contact CompoundTek (email@example.com) for more details.
Follow all OFC news here
Full press release below: